Sunday, May 12, 2013

More drawings

We have moved from graphite to charcoal, which proves to be much more forgiving.

I've always been intimidated by charcoal, but now that I understand a bit more about how to work with it, I love it. 

This first image is a composite. The left eye is Lauren Bacall's. The nose is Quincy Jones'. And the mouth and right eye from two others--combined to create a harsh looking individual, but I was amazed at what I'd created anyway.

The second and third image are from my last class. I spent most of the class working on the old man, and all of about 10 minutes on the old woman. Nevertheless, I think I captured her essence much more accurately--perhaps because I was working so quickly and not worrying too much .



2 comments:

ering said...

I love charcoal! Nice work.

Rozanne said...

So cooool to see the original, full-size versions of these last night. I think that the Cubist style self-portrait is my favorite. It is really bold and arresting.