Saturday, May 04, 2013

Intro to drawing

I'm taking a drawing class. I've always loved drawing, but beyond art class in school, I've never had any formal instruction.

Not that my class is "formal." It's as informal and loose as it can get. Phil Sylvester's approach is to get you to shut down that internal censor, not worry about trying to reproduce what you're trying to draw, but closely observe and let your instincts take care of the rest.

In class # 2, we looked closely at each part of our faces using a little hand-held mirror. Phil asked us just to make marks on the paper--scribbles really--where we saw something. So I wasn't even trying to make an "eye," or a "nose" or a "mouth." I was just recording lights and darks and interesting places I saw on the paper.

We used a new sheet of paper for every part--so we could make giant eyes and noses and mouths. I drew several of each. And then at the end, we cut out the ones we liked best and glued them together to make a "face." Here's mine:


If you look closely, you'll see it really is scratches and scribbles. The mouth is mostly a series of vertical lines. I love that together, it looks like a crazy face.

Images from class 3 and 4 soon!

1 comment:

ering said...

Fun! My parents and I took a "Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain" class together when I was in high school. It used this same idea. We practiced drawing pictures upside down and only drawing the spaces in between things. It really made my left brain step back - it wouldn't let it make generalizations and assign labels. I loved it. Have fun!