Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ocean poems

I.
I'm terrified by the sound of the waves.
They won't stop.
Inhuman roar, overwhelming boom.
No fear, no desire--nothing.
They just keep coming without a reason.

That's the way I feel about you.
You simply are, for the moment.
Rolling over inside me,
making my blood surge.
An unknowable force.
And I'm going under.

II.
My shoe is a sieve--
a fine mesh that filers sand through
to collect in the space under my toes.
"I should pan for gold in these,"
I joke to myself, imagining treasure
at the bottom of my sneaker.

The ocean's not a graveyard, but a storehouse.
It catalogs and re-displays
glass floats from Japan,
seaweed exquisite enough to be worn as jewelry.
Beachcombers unearthed--unoceaned
two civil war canons, crusted
with a hundred years of underwater history.

In the crash of the waves we find answers too.
Some--the ones who aren't ready--keep their
eyes on land, distracted by the pebbles and shells.
But some look out to the place where water meets air,
and there's nothing there to distract from the truth.

No comments: