Friday, March 21, 2008

Chicken

Popeye's Chicken sits at the corner of MLK and Ainsworth, and I always hit a red light there. For a full minute and ten seconds, I am bathed in the odor of chicken fat and breading. It hunches down in my nostrils and pushes its way down my throat. I try to see in through the glare on the windows, but I can't tell if anyone is actually eating in there.

I really want to like the smell of fried chicken. The crunchy outside, the juicy meat inside. The memories it dredges up. It was the only thing I'd order in restaurants until the age of seven, and especially good at the Tin Cup, a restaurant made to look like an old West saloon complete with wide, creaky floorboards and a circular staircase with a chain link railing. They called it the Tin Cup because you could order sarsaparilla in a take-home, souvenir tin cup, which I only got to do once, but I got to order the chicken and mashed potatoes lots of times.

I liked fried chicken so much that I even ate the Hungry Man T.V. dinner version, with their dried out corn niblets, pasty potatoes, burned brownie and stringy chicken. Because really, it hardly matters that there's chicken under that crunchy breading. That's what I was really after: salty bread crumbs infused with chicken fat. I haven't eaten meat in more than ten years, but every KFC commercial has me leaning forward, wondering whether I'd ever break my meat celibacy to experience that crunch again.

In fact, I've often thought that if I were on death row, and it was my last night on earth, I'd ask for fried chicken as my last meal. And then I think, "Well, if that's true, then why aren't I eating it now? Is this living then?" After all, I'm not on death row and I can have anything I want. I could even buy organic, vegetarian-fed, free-range chickens so I can feel good about eating them.

But what is this fantasy about eating chicken, especially since the smell of Popeye's chicken makes me queasy, makes me want to run the red light and make a left turn into oncoming traffic, just to get away from its oily haze? Maybe it's just a fantasy about breaking boundaries. Exploring the taboo. Maybe I wouldn't even like the taste, and then where would I be? I'd have to choose another death-row last meal. Organic beets and goat cheese? Caprese sandwiches on fresh baguette? I just don't know how that'd fly in prison.

3 comments:

Rozanne said...

I've never had it, but I think Popeye's chicken has got to be pretty gross. Don't even think about it.

But, yeah, if you were to get fried chicken, I'm sure there's some place in PDX where you could get fairly guilt-free fried chicken. Farm Cafe, maybe? And maybe you should go for it.

P.S. For the record, B's death-row meal is vegetarian (maybe even vegan)--vegetable biryani. I've never thought about what I'd eat for my last meal. Probably an entire loaf of buttered toast.

P.P.S. The Tin Cup sounds like my kind of place. And of course I love the name!

sophik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hey there. just wanted to let you know i have changed my blog site address to sophik.blogspot.com. Hope all is well!!