Sunday, December 03, 2006

Have you ever taken three birth control pills at once?

I remember the instant it all fell apart--like a perfect storm. I had come home Friday night, exhausted from a week's worth of difficult work and sick to boot. My nose was a red, sore bulb; my lips were chapped and cracked. In the car on the way home I realised I had missed two days of birth control pills and pulled over to the side of the road to find the pack. I popped three in my mouth--the two I had missed plus one for that day--and swallowed.

When I got home, I dragged my suitcases inside and left them by the door. Pete was in the living room, sitting on the floor with his back to me. I circled and sat on the couch to face him. He didn't look up or say anything. He continued reading his magazine, picked up his glass to take a sip of beer, and placed it back on the table as if I had never entered the room.

I slumped backward.

"Are you punishing me?" I asked. A moment passed before he answered. He did not look up to meet my eyes.

"I'm reading the Nation." He took another sip of beer. The dog whined and stretched out. It was her sign that she was ready for her evening walk.

"Mo needs a walk. Want to take her with me?"

"No," he said. My eyes filled with tears.

"Why not?"

"I took her yesterday. It's cold." I stared at the ceiling. Waited a minute. Finally he looked away from his magazine, rose and went to his shoes.

"I can see this is a losing battle," he snapped.

"Don't bother!" I yelled. I ran for the leash so that I could get out the door before he could get his coat. He barred the back door. "Get out of my way!" I screamed. I ran to the front and unlocked the deadbolt. Mo was scared, but she had no choice but to follow. I dragged her out the door.

A perfect storm of exhaustion and estrogen. Three days of hormones surged through me and spilled out my eyes. Most of the time, I cry for brief moments. But this time, I could not stop myself. I wept the way Shakespearian heroines weep for their dead lovers. I walked in the dark, talking out loud and gasping and wailing, crossing the street or turning the other way anytime I encountered another person. A raving lunatic on birth control let loose on the streets.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Answer: yes. And it wasn't pretty.

I don't know who Pete is or what his deal is, but I don't like him.

Harley Davidson said...

There is a part of the story which need some contextualization.

Why did you ask Pete if he was punishing you? Punishing you for what? Something must have happened previously for that question to be relevent, care to elaborate?

DHH

Pamela said...

Hey Harley...you're back. Thanks for the comment.

I think you're right. I found this little piece while searching through some old writing journals. I had forgotten about writing it. But it seemed to me part of a larger story, and it had a lot of energy.

So I'm going to be working on this one. I don't know what will happen, but then again, I never really do when I start a story.

ering said...

It is funny that is your most popular post. Will's most popular post was about our dishwasher experiences. Now it is a cheat sheet for the 4-Hour Body diet. I have no idea what mine is from my now defunct blog.