Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Process

I've been working on Ghost Story recently. It came out of nowhere, but that little piece I wrote in workshop struck something deep, and so I've been trying to do something with it.

I made a little headway. But I was doing something I often find myself doing: I'm great at setting the scene, the atmosphere, but when it comes to writing what happens, I suck. It's almost like I want to write stories with no plot. I just want readers to infer the plot. I kept asking myself, "What's this story about?" "What happens?" And every answer feels wrong and contrived.

Then it hit me. I'm writing around the story. There's something really scary about actually writing the story...the real one...the one that's asking to be written. It's about stuff I don't even like to think about. That I've told no one. And I guess I don't want anyone to be hurt by it when it's written down.

But now that I know what the problem is, I've decided to write the story, and perhaps I'll never show it to anyone. Maybe I will. Who knows. But at least it will be written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's almost like I want to write stories with no plot. I just want readers to infer the plot."

There probably is a genre like that.

I've not really ever read Virginia Wolff, but didn't she kind of write like that?

Anyway, good on you, for figuring out what was blocking you. I say go for it!

Anonymous said...

Woolf!!!!!!!!!!!

I meant Woolf!