Monday, July 03, 2006

Suuuuuuh-mer

It's summer. Which means a few things. 1) I commute to work once a week on bike (18+ miles, one way). 2) I start conning myself into believing I'll actually lose a few pounds and be back to my normal weight by the end of the summer from all the biking. 3) I drink copious amounts of sangria, thereby negating all the positive benefits of the biking.

It's worth it though. Because here's my commute.



Usually, I'm driving over this bridge on my way to work each morning. When I bike, I get to zoom under it, then pedal along the Columbia River. Often, I see nervous rabbits and stately herons. Little birds pop up out of the tall grass after eating a breakfast of grass seed. They zoom alongside me and skim across the water's surface.



Also, another signal that it's summer: my garden is just on the brink of going absolutley Little Shop of Horrors. In another month, I'll be thinking to myself, "Oh my god, how could I let it get this way?" But right now, I have my first sunflower of the year. Oh--and the biggest banana slug ever, taking a snooze in the watering can.



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous sunflower, and I love the view on your bike ride to work. The banana slug is awesome yet gross at the same time. Summer means sangria to me, too - I've just made the first batch for July 4th and it was yummmm...