Wednesday, February 01, 2006

State of the union

I should be getting ready for work right now, but I just spent the last two days coddling my client, and so I'm not so eager to get back for another day of thinking about someone else's needs before mine.

My horoscope for the month says that I'm in the mood to upset the apple cart. That's for sure. As I sat in those meetings, I kept thinking, "Who am I?" I could be a kick-ass marketing guru. I'm good at it. I could funnel all my energy into my business career, make a ton of cash, and just stop struggling. Hell...gimme a BMW and a yearly vacation to Maui and a mind that does not question what it all means. A simple, quiet mind.

Or, I can be a writer.

I am not sure I can do both. So with yesterday marking the end of the thirty-first year of my life the reset button got pushed. This year, I need to spend some time building a life that supports my true self. Every night, I have to go to bed thinking about what I'm going to do the next day to be my true self. This is the end of the line for my marketing career. I'm not pushing for a job at Nike as a marketing exec. No. The world wants me to go that way, but no. I either make it as a writer or nothing.

No comments: