Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Things I wore that now embarrass me

I used to experiment with clothes. I came up with some really cool things sometimes. (I painted a monster on pair of jeans with a hole in the knee to look like the hole was the monster’s mouth; I made some Jackson Pollack-inspired Chuck Taylors, I had these awesome yellow and white classic Hush Puppies that I’d love to have today.) Sometimes, my experimentation didn’t work out so well.

1. Fifth grade ultimate outfit. I wore this outfit every M, W, F, as if no one would notice just because I was alternating on T, Th with different clothes. A yellow Icelandic-style sweater, and pinstriped jeans. (Remember those?)

2. Sixth grade mish-mash outfit. I think I put these three pieces together because they all were in the same color range. A pair of melon-colored Esprit cropped cargo pants, that were really ballooney. A button down shirt, also melon-colored with green and yellow (?) stripes. On cold days, I would layer a pinkish mohair cardigan over the button down. I believe the cardigan was originally my mother’s from the 60’s. I think I spilled maple syrup on in at some point because I remember it smelled maple-sweet.

3. Earrings that I made from two halves of a ring that broke in two (it was made of cheap metal. I was wearing these when I had my 7th grade class photo taken.

4. If my mom would have let me, I would have taken one of her silk scarves, wrapped it around my waist and fastened with a safety pin, and worn it as a skirt. I really would have. I’m so glad she caught that one.

5. In our school, an 8th grade middle school tradition of sexism was that the boys’ basketball team would play against the teachers during a school assembly. Several of my girlfriends and I decided to be cheerleaders during the event, and we made t-shirts that we wore during the game. I think Brian Logel’s name was scrawled across my chest, and other weird stuff that made my infatuation with him apparent.

6. This strange outfit that consisted of two polo shirts, a red one layered OVER a yellow one, tight khaki pants, and red Chuck Taylors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The ultimate outfit." Too funny.

Pinstriped jeans! I'd forgotten about those. What an abomination.

My sister was always concocting mish-mash outfits. In fact, she still does! She really goes in for that mod '60s sort of Austin Powers look--and she can actually pull it off pretty well.

Anonymous said...

In 1982 I borrowed my girlfriends highheel suede boots and wore them with pinstriped black jeans.
I think I wanted to be prince but I probably looked more like a low budget transvestite...