Saturday, August 18, 2007

F-ing River

So, at this point I have a notebook full of free writes, about 20 pages of stuff that will eventually become a first draft, and here's the thing. A year or so ago, 20 pages would have felt loooong to me. But now, I look at those 20 pages and think "That's just the beginning! Just drips and drabs. Oh shit. WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?"

One of my writing mentors, after hearing a short section of the River piece this week, said, "Huh. It seems like maybe you have a book." And as soon as she said that, I made this noise:"Awwwwwwwwh." Whump. Yep, maybe. Or maybe just a long story. But it could be a book too.

I'm half freaked out, half loving every minute of writing this piece. Freaked out because I never wanted to write about this, and yet there it is. A story about being 13. A story that everyone's lived, and probably doesn't really want to revisit, so why would they ever want to read it, anyway? But loving it, because every time I sit down to write, it's like walking through the woods, and then I see a landmark...a giant cairn to mark the path and it just feels right. Like happy coincidences, or puzzle pieces that just snap together all of a sudden.

Re-reading Stephen King's The Body was like that. I hadn't read it since that time. I used to own the book, Different Seasons, that it's a part of. But somewhere along the line I gave it away. So I went and bought a new copy at Powell's for $5.50. Brilliant story. Beautifully written. I didn't appreciate it the first time around, and reading it as an adult, it made me hold my breath in places. But as I read, I realized how much that story influenced me. Maybe it's what's made me what I am today...which is the whole friggin point of writing the River story, of course. But what I'm saying is that as I was reading, I was newly aware of how that book has shaped my life. How it's woven itself into the stories I tell myself about my past. How it influenced decisions I made. And it reading it made me feel like, yes, 13 year-old drivel and all, this is the right project to be working on.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Huh - I was thinking the same thing as I read your earlier drafts - that this feels like it could be a book to me. The characters are already intriguing, the setting feels visceral. That would be cool if that's the direction it went...

Anonymous said...

Very cool discovery about how the King story influenced you.

I think you should def. see where the material you've worked on so far leads you. I think that's one of the most interesting things about the writing process--how it sort of "takes over" at some point and stuff spills out on the page that can be quite surprising.

Keep posting the work-in-progress!

Anonymous said...

finally had time to catch up on your blog! the material really does seem to be choosing the life it wants...i actually really love the feel of story evolving as a series of not-necessarily-chronological vignettes, weaving in and out of the other works (king story, movie)...