Friday, March 16, 2007

Continuing to look at old photos




















If you'd like to see some of the photos I've been writing about, I've posted them.

Looking at old photos

Looking at old photos, take two

Still looking at old photos

Here's Uncle Floyd and Aunt Lois, bathing in the St. Mary's River. That's where we took most of our baths, since there was only one shower for 15 people. We took our floating Ivory bar of soap, and Prell shampoo out to the river, and watched the suds float downstream.

I loved Auntie Lois. She always had a bowl of candy ready for me--smooth, egg-shaped mints, celophane-wrapped sour balls. But Uncle Floyd scared me a little. Maybe it was his laugh, which was half sly chuckle, half whistle. We did have something in common though: we were both swimmers, and each summer I would show him how fast my butterfly had gotten.

This week, I learned that Floyd died in Hurricane Katrina, and it took several weeks to locate his body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That's so terrible about your Uncle Floyd. What a shock.

I don't know what to say.