Friday, September 23, 2005

Foulbrood and queenless

Here's an update on the beehive from our beeman, Tom.

Hey Tony and Pam,

Yes, your observations are correct. One western super was removed and the honey was consolidated in the remaining one for stores for the winter. The hive is healthy but not as vigorous as I had expected. I havested only four frames of honey. The production for all the hives is down to only a third of what last year offered up. Kind of sad, plus I'm very sure that Janis's hive has foulbrood and will soon need to be destroyed. Its really an awful bacterial disease, plus I think her hive is also Queenless in the process, but it makes little difference when death is imminent. I hope all is well with you both. I'm not sure when extraction is going to take place but I wil keep you informed.........Tomas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. At least your hive isn't infected (or queenless).

The poor bee guy.

Elizabeth said...

dude, that note is awesome. you can't make shit like that up. sorry to hear about your hive being less vigorous than it could be... but as the other Elizabeth said, at least you don't have foulbrood... :)